Associate Broker, Realtor, M.S. in Ag Econ
Real Estate Agent, Associate Broker and Realtor, HomeSmart, Scottsdale, Arizona
John was the first person to predict that the inventory of homes for sale in metro Phoenix would increase sharply in 2014 and, therefore, Phoenix home prices would stop increasing in 2014.
John was one of the first experts to accurately call the bottom in metro Phoenix home prices in 2011. Almost everyone else at the time was convinced a huge “shadow inventory” of homes was going to crush home prices further.
John’s latest project is Real Estate Decoded which helps U.S. home buyers and sellers learn how real estate really works so they can be prepared before they buy or sell a home.
- Real Estate Agent 2003-present; Associate Broker since 2006
- Arizona Real Estate Notebook, Founder and Publisher since 2006
- Home Sale News, Founder and Publisher, 2001-2011
- Arizona Department of Agriculture, Marketing Director. As its first director, John created the department’s marketing programs
- U.S. Embassy, Paris, Agricultural Attache. John participated in negotiations between the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture and the French Minister of Agriculture
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Foreign Agricultural Service, Washington D.C., International Economist. John developed a computer program to access Dun and Bradstreet data that the agency used for many years to market their services.
- University of Florida, Master of Science, Agricultural Economics. Thesis title, “The Cost of Learning By Doing Effect on Technology Adoption”
- Arizona State University, Bachelor of Science, Ag-Industry. John paid his way through college by working the summers on forest fire fighting crews for the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management in Globe, Big Springs, Tusayan and Kingman, Arizona. The last summer he worked on a helicopter fire crew.
- As a young man, John once hitchhiked from Miami to Phoenix.
- Graduated from Gerard Catholic High School in Phoenix where John paid his own tuition by working in a children’s shoe store after school and on Saturdays.
- John was born and raised in Phoenix, Arizona and is one of nine children.
John is a full-time real estate agent representing both home buyers and home sellers.
John has been creating cutting edge online real estate stuff for over 10 years.
John’s website Home Sale News (2002 version!) (2001-2011), for example, had the largest network of email newsletters about Arizona real estate for many years with over 15,000 weekly subscribers. John taught himself HTML, Perl and how to run an email server to create the network of 124 email newsletters, one for each zip code in metro Phoenix.
Then in 2006 John created Arizona Real Estate Notebook which continues to be one of the most popular real estate websites in Arizona with thousands of visitors each week.
In 2015, John created the nationally focused website, Real Estate Decoded, to provide cutting edge, online education to home buyers and sellers.
In The News
- John was interviewed on NPR “Talk of the Nation” about the housing market in Phoenix and several times on KJZZ.
- Major Upgrades Might Not Be Worthwhile, Expert Says
- Scottsdale Condo Site Rife with Foreclosures
- Dollar Parity Lures Canadian Home Buyers
John was quoted in an Associated Press article about the Arizona real estate market that was printed in The Arizona Republic, The Arizona Daily Star, The Washington Post, The International Herald Tribune, FOXNews.com, MSNBC, ABC News and many other publications.
Funny story: The article was also printed in The Des Moines Register where one glorious morning John’s mother-in-law stumbled upon John’s name in print in her hometown newspaper!
- Arizona Association of Realtors, Business Services and Technology Committee, 2010-2014
- Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center, Volunteer, 2003-2014
- Scottsdale Healthcare Auxiliary Board of Directors (the volunteers’ board) 2010 to 2014, Treasurer 2012-2014
Married to Liz Wake for 30 years and they have two adult sons and a pretty Papillion, Abby. John was one of nine children and he is still very close to his brothers and sisters. John is an ASU football fan and he loves dogs.